Friday, January 19, 2007

Rosie: Just Shut Up

First it was Donald Trump, now Rosie O'Donnell feels the need to flaunt her opinions on hit television show American Idol. Let me preface this by saying I am completely on the Donald's side when he refers to Rosie as a "terrible, disgusting human being." Not only cannot I not stand the sight of her, even reading about her makes me feel sick. Additionally, I must admit, I am a fan of American Idol as well. So this commentary might be a little biased. Just a little.

Rosie again used her television show, The View, as a platform for discussing her opinions and trying to convince others that she is right. In reference to the previous episode of American Idol, which showcased auditions from the city of Seattle, Rosie took the moral high ground in a six minute bashing of the number 1 show in America. "It's terribly sad to me," O'Donnell said . "I don't think America likes to watch people be ridiculed, made fun of, and called ugly monkeys, or that they're too fat or they're a degenerate... it's an absurd concept that this is what's tolerable now as consumption in America for mass media."

No, Rosie, you know what's an absurd concept? That YOU are tolerable as comsumption for mass media. Not only are you fat, you are hideously ugly and have a huge mouth, which most of the time is spewing crap that is wrong, yet you represent it as being reality. You want to have a talk show, fine, no one can stop you from doing that. But as a talk show host, you at least have the responsibility of properly informing the American public, not giving your blowhard opinion and pretending like you speak the truth.

Let's look at the facts. The American Idol premiere on Tuesday night drew 37.3 million viewers and a 15.7 rating/36 share in the adults 18-49 demographic, according to data from Nielsen Media Research. 37.3 million! I don't even think The View has that many viewers in a year! It was rated highest at 18.0 rating/40 share, which meant that 40% of of the U.S. homes using television were tuned to "Idol" at that point. Ridiculous. This represented a 5% ratings increase in viewers and 3% increase in adults 18-49 compared with last year's premiere. Even more impressive, it was the second-biggest telecast for American Idol since it debuted in summer 2002. You got it right Rosie, I don't think this is what the American public likes to watch.

Are you kidding me? This is the sole reason WHY we watch! I actually watched the Seattle episode that Rosie is referring to (which I'd be willing to bet that Rosie did not- yet she still comments on it...hmmm). I can't tell you how many times during that episode I uttered the words "I can't believe I live in the same country as these people." Maybe it's harsh, but it's true. We love to watch these idiots, who think they have talent (I really can't even believe some of these people think they can sing...are they deaf? Do they have friends who sit them down and are like "Listen...I know you want to sing and be famous and all...and I'm sorry to be the one to break the news to you...but honestly you're really terrible...it's just not going to happen." I mean, where do these people come from?) get up in front of judges with the honest, 100% belief that they will win this show, just to get absolutely crushed when we all see how terrible they are. How can you not laugh??

Like I said, I watched the Seattle episode, and the one part that really caused Rosie's wrath was the audition of Kenneth Briggs, who sang N Sync's "Tearing Up My Heart." Now, not only was the audition awful, but Simon commented on Briggs' appearance, saying "you look like one of those creatures that live in the jungle with those massive eyes. What are they called? Bush babies?" Now again, maybe this was a little harsh, but honestly, this guy did look like a monkey. He was short, really thin and had the biggest bug eyes ever, and he was singing "Tearing Up My Heart" horribly and attempting showcase some dance moves as well. Truly priceless. However, Rosie's opinion, despite the fact that she probably didn't watch the show, was "That's compassion for you. Isn't that what America thinks is entertainment -- to make fun of someone's physical appearance and then when they leave the room, laugh hysterically at them?" Yes, Rosie, it is. And a lot of people laugh and make fun of your physical appearance as well.

At the gym last night, I happened to see that Forbes Magazine (great name) had released their list of the top 20 richest women in entertainment. Topping the list was Oprah, of course, worth a whopping $1.5 billion dollars, which is just a ridiculous amount of money. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Oprah, but I don't hate her, because I can see why people like her. She seems like she could be a nice person, she gives away cars and other gifts to her audience members, she does other charitable things with her wealth- she genuinely seems to care about doing right by other people. On the other hand, we have Rosie. What does she do besides rail against other people and act like a genuine ass most of the time? She's boisterous, ugly and a pain in the ass. What is it about her that people like? I can't seem to figure it out. I wish she would just never talk again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear, Hear! Love the new material, keep it up!! We need a fresh perspective like yours.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear hear indeed. I love perspectives and your freshness is crispy and full of vigor. I simply ate up your last two blogs and smothered myself in your vengence filled grumblings. If they made a ketchup out of your wit I'd slather it all over my hot dog!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home